Amazon Prime Video has become one of the most popular streaming platforms since its creation in 2017.
It has experienced exponential growth and currently it offers around 100,000 movies and TV shows to watch online or on your TV using your smart TV or other compatible devices.
Here are some of the main Amazon Prime Video statistics for year 2022.
If you’re looking to buy this streaming platform and you want to know more about the Amazon Prime Video before buying it, then this article will help you out, so let’s get started!
What Is Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video is a streaming video service offered by Amazon. As of February 2020, Amazon Prime Video had over 150 million subscribers worldwide.
Amazon Prime Video offers users the ability to stream TV shows, movies, and documentaries.
The service also offers a number of its own original programs, which can be found nowhere else.
In addition to all of this, Amazon Prime Video also allows users to rent or purchase movies and TV shows that can be downloaded and watched offline.
What Are The Channels Offered On The Platform?
As of right now, there are three channels offered on the platform: Amazon Video, HBO, and Showtime. In the future, there may be more or less services offered.
As for right now, these are the main three. There are many services that have been announced to be coming to the platform in the future, so it is unknown how many channels will be offered by 2022.
The current services cost $8 a month and they do not require any other subscriptions in order to access them.
How Much Does it Cost To Join?
A basic Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 per month, which comes to about $156 per year.
An Amazon Prime Video membership costs an additional $8.99 per month, which comes to about $108 per year.
So, the total cost of an Amazon Prime Video membership is $21.98 per month, or about $264 per year.
But what if you choose not to subscribe?
If you’re going to be a light user, Amazon allows you to rent individual titles for $2.99 per month. It costs a little more if you want access to more than one title each month, but it still doesn’t come close to $264.
Still, these numbers don’t include taxes or any of Amazon’s additional fees and surcharges, so your actual costs will be higher.
How Many Subscribers Are There?
As of 2022, Amazon Prime Video has an estimated 26 million subscribers in the United States.
This is a significant increase from the 20 million subscribers in 2020. The majority of these subscribers are between the ages of 18 and 49.
The content that is most popular on Amazon Prime Video includes series such as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan.
How Much Money Does Amazon Prime Spend on Original Content?
In 2022, Amazon is expected to spend $11 billion on original content. This is up from the $4.5 billion that they spent in 2018.
The majority of this increase will go towards their new live-action and anime series. They are also planning on releasing 80 original movies in 2022, which is double the amount they released in 2020.
Competitors Of Amazon Prime
Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, and Apple TV+ are all direct competitors of Amazon Prime Video. Each service offers a unique selection of content, with some overlap in titles.
As the leading streaming service, Netflix has the most comprehensive library of movies and TV shows.
Hulu offers a mix of original programming and licensed content, while Disney+ focuses exclusively on movies and TV shows from the Walt Disney Company.
HBO Max has a smaller selection than its competitors but includes exclusive access to HBO content.
- Amazon charges $99 per year for a Prime membership, which includes free two-day shipping, streaming music and video, and other benefits.
- In 2017, Amazon began offering a monthly subscription option for $10.99 per month.
- As of April 2018, Amazon had an estimated 85 million Prime subscribers in the United States.
- A study conducted in March 2018 found that 61% of U.S. households had an Amazon Prime membership.
- In July 2017, Amazon announced a $10.99 per month subscription for video and music streaming service for its Prime members called Prime Music.
- In 2022 , it is predicted that 60% of American households will have an Amazon Prime membership. It’s also predicted that there will be 100 million more prime subscriptions than this time last year (increase from 180 to 280).
- In the next year, Amazon plans to continue expanding its Prime Video service globally.
- Amazon also plans to add more content to its platform, including new original programming and licensed content from other networks and studios.
- The company is also working on improving the quality of its streaming service, with plans to offer 4K Ultra HD and HDR content in the near future.
Summary and Analysis
Amazon Prime Video is an American Internet video on demand service that is developed, owned, and operated by Amazon.
It offers television shows and films for rent or purchase and Prime Video, a selection of Amazon Studios original content and licensed acquisitions included in the Amazon’s Prime subscription.
As of February 2021, Prime Video had more than 150 million subscribers worldwide.